Sunday, January 25, 2015

Learning Letters

This week Drake and I worked on letters.  I really just wanted to see what letters he knew, he knows a lot more than I realize.  We played a lot of games, but he would get frustrated or wasn't that interested.  Oh well.....

 
Monday
 
We did a quick alphabet puzzle and that was all he was really into.
 

Tuesday

We did some letter matching.  I put some paper on cookie sheets so that he could match up magnetic letters... I thought that would be interesting for him.... he did it for about 2 minutes and then he was done.  I also made a letter game with a recycled dishwasher pod container.  I made it into a crocodile and then put letter cards inside.  There is a poem that you recite...  Crocodile, crocodile down by the lake.  I'm going to reach in and see what you ate.  Then Drake reaches in and gets a card and says the letter.


he did like the letter though.  he took this picture of them.

he also put his name on the door.  small victory.
(side note: I made Drake and Archer scarves and Drake
 wore his all day)

I also made a puzzle for him to learn his name.  Each
piece of the picture puzzle is attached to a popsicle stick
with a letter of his name.  Put it together and you get a
picture of Drake.
he liked the idea of it, but he wasn't super interested in playing.

getting an X out.  I think that was the only card we did.

Wednesday

It was pretty and sunny so we decided to play outside.  I had made a game for Archer with sight words where I put them out as lily pads and he had to hop from pad to pad saying each word as he went from bank (yard) to bank (yard) across the river (driveway).  Drake was all about playing that again.  We even made it a jungle swamp with alligators, fish, birds, an octopus and turtles.  He, however, was not interested in calling out letters as he hopped across.  He just wanted me to chase him.  It was still fun.

checking out the alligator

you can kind of see our bird, fish and turtle
Thursday

Archer wasn't feeling well this morning so he stayed home.  After a nap he felt better and we played a post office game.  This was the most elaborate game I made up and it took some time to put together.  I was a little bummed that Drake didn't seem to be into anything so I was a little wary of getting this one out.  I don't know if it was because Archer was playing too or this one just spoke to him, but he did the whole thing.  Yea!!


I had cards with animals on them and their name on the back.

there were enveloped that matched the animals with the first letter big
so that he could just match letters.  Archer was actually in charge of
stuffing envelopes.  It was a little beyond Drake although I think that he
would have picked it up.

Then the stuffed envelopes would be put in the postmaster's
bag to be delivered.

Drake then looked at the letter on the envelope and matched it to
the basket that had the letter on it.  He was so good... sometimes it
would take him a while to find the letter but he didn't give up.
Friday

We made a smash game with shaving cream and glue.  I mixed 4 parts shaving cream with 1 part glue and then made dots all over a piece of cardboard.  I then put pieces of paper with the letters on them on each dot and we let it dry overnight.  The next morning they were a really cool texture and not messy at all.  Drake loved smooshing them, but did not want to tell me which letter he was smooshing.


No comments:

Post a Comment